I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University (Sechenov University)
Year of foundation: 1758
Total students: 17,500 / International students: 2,500
Faculties: 7 / Departments: 130
Rector: Pyotr Glybochko
Sechenov University, as academic and research Center of Excellence, concentrates resources on the breakthrough research in personalized life-long health management aimed at increasing human life duration and quality.
Sechenov University develops “the medicine of the future” focused on the solid academic basis of clinical medicine broadening the horizons with proactive multidisciplinary studies in the network cooperation with the world leaders in engineering, technology and natural sciences.
The strategic goal of Sechenov University consists in joining the international research and educational community, and to become an international reference university No.1 in Life Sciences in Russia.
- Personalized and translational medicine
- Clinical and health research
- Regenerative and molecular medicine
- Biotechnologies and biocompatible materials
- IT in healthcare
International collaboration and partnerships
International collaboration agreements cover a broad range of foreign universities and organizations, including:
- World Health Organization
- World Federation for Medical Education
- Association of University Programs for Health Administration
- World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians
- European Health Management Association
- World Association for Medical Law
- International Science and Technology Center
- Open Society Foundations (formerly Open Society Institute)
- International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
- German Academic Exchange Service
- Universities in Australia, Great Britain, Germany, Denmark, Canada, Israel, Norway, France, The Netherlands, USA, Switzerland, Portugal, Serbia and Montenegro.
Sechenov University is a co-founder of the Association of Sino-Russian Medical Universities.
- Renat Akchurin, Soviet and Russian cardiac surgeon
- Mehriban Aliyeva, president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador
- Oleg Atkov, Soviet and Russian physician and cosmonaut
- Leo Bokeria, leading Russian heart surgeon, scientist and medical science organiser
- Maksim Konchalovskiy, distinguished Soviet and Russian physician, outstanding clinician, founder of school of clinic of internal diseases
- Sergey Korsakov, distinguished Russian psychiatrist
- Alexander Myasnikov, distinguished cardiologist
- Nikolay Pirogov, distinguished Russian surgeon and anatomist
- Valentin Pokrovskiy, Soviet and Russian epidemiologist
- Ivan Sechenov, distinguished Russian physiologist
- Nikolai Sklifosovsky, prominent Russian surgeon and clinician
- Anton Chekhov, playwright and physician