International Council decides on subsidies for Project 5-100 universities for 2016March 22, 2016
March 18–19, the Council on Competitiveness Enhancement of Leading Russian Universities among Leading Global Research and Education Centers met in Moscow. The Council was convened to consider the drafts of the “roadmaps” of Russian universities selected to participate in the Russian Academic Excellence Initiative (Project 5-100) in October 2015 and to discuss the results of the implementation of the Project in 2015 and the plans for 2016.
The Council paid special attention to the analysis of the results achieved by the universities participating in the Project and checked to make sure that there were clear research and education priorities and governance priorities (which would help the universities to obtain strong positions in the global academic system) set by the universities in their development programs.
The Council recommended to the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia that they divide the universities into three groups and provide each with financing in 2016 in the amount of 900 mln rubles, 500 mln rubles and 150 mln rubles respectively.
The universities which were recommended for financial aid in the amount of 900 mln rubles in 2016 are:
- Kazan Federal University (KFU);
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT);
- National University of Science and Technology MISiS (MISiS);
- National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE);
- National Research Nuclear University MEPhI (MEPhI);
- Novosibirsk State University (NSU);
- ITMO University (ITMO).
The following universities were recommended for financial aid in the amount of 500 mln rubles in 2016:
- Far Eastern Federal University (FEFU);
- Tomsk State University (TSU);
- Tomsk Polytechnic University (TPU);
- Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University;
- Samara State Aerospace University named after academician S.P. Korolev (SSAU);
- Peter the Great St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University (SPbPU);
- Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin (UrFU).
150 mln rubles for 2016 will be provided to the following group of universities:
- Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University;
- Lobachevsky University (UNN);
- Russian People’s Friendship University (RUDN);
- St. Petersburg State Electrotechnical University “LETI” (ETU);
- Siberian Federal University (SFU);
- University of Tyumen (UT);
- South Ural State University (SUSU).