Seven universities of Project 5-100 became а part of World-Class Research CentersSeptember 4, 2020
On August 28, 2020, a meeting of the Council for State Support for the Creation and Development of World-Class Research Centers was held under the leadership of Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation Tatyana Golikova. The Сouncil summed up the results of the next competitive selection for grants for the creation of world-class scientific centers (WCRC) and approved the list of 10 winners.
Seven universities (the participants of Project 5-100) have become a part of six WCRC. These consortia will conduct research and elaborate their own projects in the National Science and Technology Priority Areas which are the basis for the innovative development of the domestic market for products and services, as well as Russia's stable position in the foreign market.
- In the field of "Advanced digital technologies and artificial intelligence, robotic systems, new generation materials" will be established:
1. WCRC "Center of Photonics". The founders: Institute of Applied Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Nizhny Novgorod State University named after NI Lobachevsky, Institute of General Physics named after A.M. Prokhorov of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
2. WCRC "Advanced digital technologies". The founders: Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University, St. Petersburg State Marine Technical University, Tyumen State University, Research Institute of Influenza named after A.A. Smorodintsev, Ministry of Health of Russia.
- In the field of "Environmentally friendly resource-saving energy, efficient regional use of subsoil and biological resources":
3. WCRC "Rational development of the planet's liquid hydrocarbon reserves". The founders: Kazan Federal University, Ufa State Petroleum Technical University, Russian State University of Oil and Gas (National Research University) named after I.M. Gubkin, Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology.
- In the field of "Personalized medicine, high-tech healthcare and health-preserving technologies":
4. WCRC "Digital biodesign and personalized healthcare". The founders: First Moscow State Medical University named after I.M. Sechenov, Institute for System Programming named after V.P. Ivannikov, Novgorod State University named after Yaroslav the Wise, Research Institute of Biomedical Chemistry named after V.N. Orekhovich, Institute of Design and Technological Informatics of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
5. WCRC "Pavlovsk Center" Integrative Physiology - Medicine, High-Tech Healthcare and Stress Resilience Technologies". The founders: Institute of Physiology named after I.P. Pavlov of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Evolutionary Physiology and Biochemistry named after I.M. Sechenov of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Problems of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg Electrotechnical University "LETI".
- In the field of "Humanitarian and social studies of the interaction of man and nature, man and technology, social institutions as effective responses of society to major challenges":
6. WCRC "Center for Interdisciplinary Research of Human Potential". The founders: NRU "Higher School of Economics", Russian Academy of National Economy and Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation, Moscow State Institute of International Relations (University) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia, Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology named after N.N. Miklukho-Maclay of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
World-Class Research Centers will be established within the framework of the national project "Science" and the federal project "Development of scientific and scientific-industrial cooperation", that will last until 2024. The budget is 15.46 billion rubles.
WCRC – centers of the national project "Science" based on the scientific organizations, universities or associations in the form of a consortium to carry out research and development in National Science and Technology Priority Areas of Russia. In 2019, three centers for genomic research and four international mathematical centers were established.
The main criteria: experience in conducting research in the areas of the center's activities, research program, human resources, as well as the scientific infrastructure of the center. The innovation base of the center, its integration into international scientific activity and the planned contribution to the implementation of priority directions of development of Russia, the number of scientific publications of researchers, the relevance of the planned research.